About Me

My photo
I AM WHO I AM. I AM WHO I'VE BEEN PUT ON THIS EARTH TO BECOME. I AM WHO I WANT TO BE. I AM ME.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Writing Prompt 4 Favorite Story and The Book as a Whole

My favoite short story in The Things They Carried is "The Dentist." The reason the short story fully captured my intrest is beacuse although, it is one of the shortest stories in the novel, it allows the readers to get an overall picture of who the character, Curt Lemon really is before his death. He is known for being the dare devil among soldiers and always trying things that no one in their right mind would consider doing. He has a certain posture about himself that may come across to other soldiers as a "show off". In the short story, The Dentist, the readers as well as the soldiers were able to see the child side of Curt Lemon when he refuses to see the dentist because of the tooth that was troubling him. With Lemon in this story, I am able to relate to him because although he always seemed to "play the tough role" very well around this fella soldiers, as the short story continues, we, as well as the soldiers around him saw that he has his own weaknesses. The type of weaknesses he refuses to let anyone knows about him because that woluld only cause others to look at him a differnet way which may lead to pepole not taking him seriously as a soldier. Maybe that is why he chooses to do things others wouldn't do.
The book as a whole is a pretty edcational piece of work. The reason I say this is beacuse, although the book itself is not a book I will personally pick out of any others, the book allowed me to view the war aspect differrently as far as what is expected from a true war story and the way its being told.

No comments:

Post a Comment